Chapter 1: Slump
Why does Evan prefer being the basement w/ the lights out?
A: it’s too hot w/ the lights on
2. Evan tries to give Jessie the Big Freeze. What the heck is that?
A: he wants her to leave him alone (to bug off!)
3. What week is it when the story opens (what week of the year)?
A: the week before Labor Day; the last week of summer; the week before school starts
4. What was Evan actually doing down there in the basement w/ the lights off?
A: playing catch w/ a baseball by himself
5. What object does Evan’s mother try (and fail) to move by herself?
A: a broken air conditioner
Chapter 2: Breakup
6. What were Evan and Jessie doing when the letter arrived?
A: making a lemonade stand
7. Who says, “School. Isn’t. Fun.”?
A: Evan Traski
8. What book does Jessie read to try (and fail) to take away her confusion and
feelings about Evan?
A: Charlotte’s Web
9. When was the first time Evan said “I hate you” to Jessie?
A: when she helped him w/ his math homework
10. Name one of the 3 things Jessie will miss by skipping 3rd grade?
A: the Antartica unit; the trip to the aquarium; and trans-continental pen-pals
Chapter 3: Joint Venture
11. Where is the best place to sell lemonade – the driveway or the corner??
A: the corner
12. Who wrote Ten Bright Ideas to Light Up Your Sales?
A: Evan and Jessie’s Mom
13. What does Scott want to get w/ the money they might make from the lemonade
A: an XBox
14. What does Evan wan to buy w/ the money he might save from a lemonade stand?
A: an iPod
15. Evan received ten dollars from his grandmother. For his iPod. What did he spend it
A: pizza for his friends
16. So, if it costs 50 cents to make a cup of lemonade, and they sell 14 cups for a $1 each
– how much money (how much profit) did Evan and Scott make?
Chapter 13: Crisis Management
42. How many boys are playing basketball the day Evan’s money gets stolen from his
Chapter 14: Reconciliation
43. What does Evan say – the “joke” that Jessie would normally laugh at?
A: “There were a few bugs in the system.”
44. What does Evan think Scott Spencer is going to do w/ the money he stole?
A: buy an XBox
45. Evan admits why he didn’t want Jessie in his class at school. Why is it?
A: He says he “didn’t want to embarrass himself.”
46. Complete these three opposed pairs: Fireworks and what? Summer and what?? War and what???
A: Rainstorm. School. Peace.