Use these questions to select your Daily Trivia Questions. Use the leftovers, if desired, to create a Trivia Contest after you’ve finished the book.
Chapter 1 – Tucker
1. What is Tucker’s word for collecting?
2. What kind of cookie was Tucker eating when we first meet him?
A: a Lorna Doone shortbread cookie
3. (As a class?) What’s on the shelf on one side of the newsstand?
A: second hand radio; Kleenex; matches; cash register; alarm clock
Chapter 11 – The Jinx
30. When Mama Bellini hears Chester’s “singing” – and realizes it his him – she says…what?
A: “Play some more.
31. When Chester plays “Come Back to Sorrento” it makes her think of…what?
A: being courted by Mr. Bellini in Naples
32. Who says, “No cricketer who plays ‘Torn a Sorrento’ so beautifully could possibly start a fire”?
A: Mama Bellini
Chapter 12 – Mr. Smedley
33. The first time Mr. Smedley hears Chester play, he observes that Chester is playing a perfect middle C note. The second time, when Chester plays a scale, he notes that Chester has…’what’? (two words)
A: perfect pitch
[Note: He later praises Chester's "phrasing" too.]
34. (for test) Who is the only other person Mr. Smedley has encountered who had perfect pitch?
A: soprano Arabella Hefflefinger
35. After hearing Chester play Mr. Smedley writes a letter to the music editor of what publication?
A: The New York Times
36. Who wrote, “Rejoice, Oh, New Yorkers – for a musical miracle has come to our city”?
A: Horatio P. Smedley
Chapter 13 – Fame
37. Who does Chester consider to be his “manager”?
A: Tucker Mouse
38. What is the first piece Chester plays the morning after Mr. Smedley’s letter appears in The New York Times?
A: “A Little Night Music”
39. How many people were late to work the first morning Chester played for the public?
40. The arrival of fall makes Chester feel wistful about his home. One of these harbingers of fall is a leaf that blows into Grand Central Station. The leaf came from….here?
A: New Jersey
Chapter 14 – Orpheus
41. Who says, “You don’t feel like playing? That’s like the sun saying, ‘I don’t feel like shining’”?
A: Tucker Mouse
42. What does Chester mean when he says, “I’m feeling Septemberish”?
A: doesn’t want to play; wants to be in Connecticut, the country, back home, the fall
43. Who are the folks Chester’s music gives pleasure to in Connecticut?
A: woodchucks, pheasants, ducks, rabbits, bullfrogs, foxes
44. T/F: Times Square was as still as a meadow during Chester’s final concert.
Chapter 15 - The Meadow
45. What souvenir does Chester take w/ him from his time in New York?
A: the tiny silver bell from his pagoda
46. What does Tucker Mouse pack for Chester’s lunch on the train?
A: a piece of steak sandwich and a chocolate cookie
47. How does Mario know that Chester is gone for good and won’t come back?
A: he notices the bell is gone
48. T/F When Mario learns that Chester has gone for good – he says, “I’m glad.”